Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Songwriter

Dear Songwriter:
Will you write a song for me?
Put your pen to page & fingers to instrument
& think of me.
Paint a picture in your mind
of my lips kissing your soul.

Put your heart into it & into me,
& I promise the words will flow
from you & directly into me.
I will wait while you seek the
words to tell me your heart.

My pulse will race
when you combine the lyrics with music,
& my heart will pound in my chest.
I anticipate what you will sing next.
I anticipate your touch,
& I anticipate you.

Your music & rhythm keep me awake all night long.
Your words & mind distract me all day long.
Will you compose a song for me –
As the poet writes prose for you?
Will our words come together
& create a perfect dance of love?

I wait to hear the first draft –
the first raw cut with shaking
hands & voice.
I will roll around in your words & song
as if I were in your bed.

I know before you even begin to sing
what your story will say.
I know that neither the poet
nor the songwriter will be lost for words –
although we both know that nothing will be read or sang
when our arts collide.

Bring your song to me,
& will share my heart with you.
Bring your touch to me,
& I will melt under your fingertips.
Bring your rhythm & rhyme –
dear songwriter –
& I will fall into your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment