Sunday, December 12, 2010

Read Needs

There is something about this time of year that makes me want to just call in sick and curl up with a coffee (if it's morning) or a glass of wine (if it is reasonably close to or after noon) and dig into a good book.  I find that when I get into a good book, not much gets between me and The End. 

My favourite genre right now is memoir/autobiography.  I did the fiction trail for a while but these days I like to read about people having experiences of their own, how they handled them and the lessons they learned.  I have also tossed around the idea of writing my own memoirs, but I haven't really drafted an outline or even wrapped my thoughts around what might be so interesting about my life that someone would want to spend their time reading about it.  Until then, I'll continue to dabble at poetry, as this comes fairly easily to me right now.  I suppose the tough work lies ahead of me when I am ready to take it on.

So while I ponder my own memoir, I've decided to draft a list of books that I want to read.  I recently finished "Even Silence Has an End" by Ingrid Batancourt upon the recommendation of a friend.  A captivating story of a woman held hostage in the jungles of South America by the Farc for over 6 years.  While the story was fascinating, I did find it repetitive as she circled around lost in dampness, loneliness and never ending green year after year.  It was good and worth the 2 weeks that I spent reading it.  Currently I am reading "The Snowball"  by Alice Schroeder.  A fascinating read about the man behind Berkshire Hathaway...the company that pretty much owns "everything." (Think Coca-Cola, Geico Insurance, Benjamin Moore Paints, Dairy Queen, The Pampered Chef and Fruit of the Loom...just to name a few).  At about 950 pages, it's a meaty read and I admit that when I pick it up, I can't put it down...but when I do a week or more can go by before I pick it up again.

So having committed to reading The Snowball, I have no business eyeing up other books.  I find myself in Chapters, thumbing through the new releases.  I find myself wanting each new book Oprah announces her new selection.  I admit I own books on my crowded bookcases that I haven't read yet.  Good thing about books though, is that they are always there waiting for me when I finally reach for them.


The List:
"Committed: A skeptic makes peace with marriage" by Elizabeth Gilbert.  Her follow up memoir to "Eat, Pray, Love."  It's on one of my crowded bookcases I mentioned.  An easy read that I know I will enjoy and read quickly when I get to it.

"Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen.  Cited as the "novel of the decade by a great American novelist." I hear it's a page turner.

"My Spiritual Journey" by The Dalai Lama.  The memoir of a great living legend.


"Unbearable Lightness: A story of loss and gain" by Portia de Rossi.  Not just because I'm a big fan of Ellen Degeneres who has avidly pushed her wife's book, it sounds like a story that any woman who has struggled with self-image should read.


Harry Potter Boxed Set.  All 7 novels.  I read the very first one years ago and then saw some of the movies thereafter.  Since then, I've caught up on the movies and did enjoy them.  With the last two movies coming out, I figure it's time to sit down and read the books.  They are truly magical.

"The Teachings of the Buddha."  A book I've had for years that I reach for when I am seeking balance.  This is on my night stand now.

"Vij's at Home: Relax, Honey: The warmth and ease of Indian Cooking" by Meeru Dhalwala & Vij Virkham.  Local Vancouver restaurateurs that are fantastic and I need to spend more time learning to cook Indian food.

"The Food of Morocco" by Jane Lawson.  To get more of my exotic foodie fix.

"Life" by Keith Richards.  As the saying goes, after the nuclear winter two things will survive: cock roaches and Keith Richards.  Sounds like an interesting read that has been getting good reviews, probably for the fact that it's amazing he remembers everything...just not in any particular order.

"Say You're One of Them" by Uwem Akpan.  Another Oprah recommendation that I'm sure will deliver.


"Happens Every Day: an all-too-true story" by Isabel Gillies.  A memoir of heartbreak as a marriage ends.  This is on one of my bookcases too.


Well that should do for now.  I'm sure I'll add more later.


-L















No comments:

Post a Comment